Hello, is there a way to block post from a specific instance (Lemmygrad) to prevent them from showing up on my feed? Thanks!

• ultra@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Thanks, but this is only for a community. I’d like to block every community on Lemmygrad

• PriorProject@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

As an instance admin, it’s possible to defederate with an instance, in which case posts and comments by users of that instance will no longer replicate to your instance.

As a regular Lemmy user, there is no instance-level block. You can instead:

• Block individual users as you encounter them. Maybe the whole instance isn’t a problem and blocking a dozen folks is enough.
    • Block a community. If I understand it correctly, this is not the same as blocking every user in the community. It just unsubs you and prevents the posts from showing up in all for you. Users that participate in the community could still interact with you in OTHER communities though.
    • Abandon your current account and join (or create) an instance that blocks the instance you don’t like. Your post and comment history would stay with your old account, users that knew you under your old account might not be able to find your new one unless you leave a goodbye post or update your profile… though Lemmy is still small enough that if you’re active and use a similar user-name on the new instance they’ll probably recognize you.
    • ultra@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago
      • I don’t necessarily have a problem with the users, but with the (far left or tankie) posts in the instance
      • I’ve already done that for some Lemmygrad communities, I guess I’ll have to do that for all of them.
      • The problem with creating an instance is that Jerboa only works with preset instances (I tried logging into my lemmy.one account, but it said that it isn’t an instance).

But thanks for replying anyways!

• PriorProject@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

If you just dislike the community posts, you might also be able to flesh out your subscription list and just avoid the all feed. I sub to a lot communities and rarely visit all and I can’t recall ever having randomly stumbled on a lemmygrad post even though my instance federates with them.

The problem with creating an instance is that Jerboa only works with preset instances (I tried logging into my lemmy.one account, but it said that it isn’t an instance).

I’m not sure what your login problem was, but logged into lemmy.world from Jerboa when the instance was like 2d old, and the instance was definitely not part of the built-in list of suggested instances. I’m fairly certain it doesn’t hard code a list.

• ultra@lemmy.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

How?

EDIT: now it works. Weird. I used to get a message saying “lemmy.one isn’t an instance”