• zero_spelled_with_an_ecks@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

My 18 year old sphynx, Hairry, had congestive heart failure last Sunday, but I got him to a vet in time for them to help. He’s doing well on medications and I get some extra time with him.sphynx cat curled up in a blanket with a leg stretched out

The vet was an ordeal as their initial diagnosis was lymphoma and were going to give steroids. A friend that works there offered to come in on her day off, made them wait for radiology to report back, and figured out it was heart failure. If they had given him steroids, it would probably have killed him, so I’m extra grateful she gave him some extra attention and care. He still had to stay in an oxygenated kennel for a day and a half as the meds cleared the fluid from around his heart and out of his lungs.

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

My old guy not so well, tracheal stenosis is terrible. The cough syrup only kind of helps. He’s super restless too and his bladder control is not exactly great. I don’t know how else to help him. He wakes up a lot at night and hacks.

The other one who is only a little younger is full of piss and vinegar and is super fun.

• Zerlyna@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 days ago

My older cat is 7-8 and in the past couple days he’s started to sleep in the closet. Bring him into the bed with me…. He sneaks back off to the closet. I’m not liking that. I wish I knew what was wrong.

• Zerlyna@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

I will no worries. He’s my buddy, already been thru a lot. Battered up rescued stray. I’ve got about $5k invested in him already. 😻