I hope this kind of content is allowed

• kmkz_ninja@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Worked with a guy that would fill a rocks glass with well whiskey and down it in one gulp after shifts. Not impossible that some Joe Protag could drink a glass.

• remotelove@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Alcohol is a helluva drug. Most people can’t believe I was drinking a twelve pack of IPAs and a bottle of wine or two and a few shots of vodka every day after work. Well, the wine would usually start before 5pm, but whatever. Sometimes I drank more, sometimes less.

Point being, most seasoned alcoholics I know could easily start their day with a quick pint of whiskey. I was quickly getting there as I would have to chug a glass of two of whatever I had, before drinking time actually started, to keep the shakes at bay.

After several years of that, a stout glass of whiskey is child’s play.

(I quit drinking over a year ago and my body is still healing. It’s going to take a few more years to get my gut working properly again and thankfully, my heart issues have all but disappeared.)

• BartsBigBugBag@lemmy.tf
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Multiple years sober here, keep it up, it only gets better the longer it gets. Most recently I’ve gotten into the best shape of my life, something I could never have done drinking at least a 6 pack and a pint a night.

• remotelove@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Keep going on those multiple years yourself, kind stranger!

I actually gained a ton of weight over the last year but now that the sobriety honeymoon is over, it’s time to get back in shape myself. (I went from ~180lbs up to 205lbs at one point. TBH, I was just happy to be able to eat multiple servings of decent food at a time and I took full advantage of that.)

But yeah, not so long ago, I would have berated you about being a lightweight alcoholic. I look at what I was able to drink before and hear about what you were drinking just now and that is a fuck ton of alcohol to put down. It’s amazing how perception can change.

• BartsBigBugBag@lemmy.tf
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I definitely put on a little weight at first. Like you said, just being able to truly eat again was amazing!! Also, it tastes like crap, but Kombucha really helped rebalance my guts. I wish I’d tried it sooner but the taste really put me off at first.

• Taako_Tuesday@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah and on the other side of things, a good whiskey/bourbon/other amber colored liquors absolutely can taste sweet