Good day all,

I’m currently about 3 months into using Linux exclusively for personal computing and gaming. I stared out trying EndeavourOs /w the Linux Surface kernel on my Surface, having now settled on Manjaro on my surface and CachyOS on my gaming rig.

So far the experience has been relatively painless. Now, having settled down comfortably into a rhythm of running sudo pacman -Syu, getting lost in the AUR and wiki, I feel like exploring more into what Linux has to offer.

So, on to my question, what do i do now? There’s a bit of choice paralysis for me. Where did you all decide to dig in first? What resources did you use? What projects did you take on to deepen your knowledge? What do you feel is essential for crossing the threshold from average user to almost-superuser, then from there and beyond?

Thanks in advance for your time. Hope to hear from you all soon.

• ScientifficDoggo@lemmy.zipOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

Thanks for this. I’ve been eyeing archinstall but have held off until i find a cheap desktop to “destroy” testing things out.

I’ve given Debian a spin and honestly don’t care too much for it, probably due to my first exposure to linux being arch-based (I refuse to say “I use arch btw” until i have more than a layman’s idea of everything). My experience with Fedora is limited to flashing Bazzite on my Steam Deck yesterday, so I’m still feeling around.

I have a device running Ubuntu for my PiHole and that’s about it.

This is the first time I’ve heard of TheLinuxExperiment, looks interesing so I’ll be sure to give it a watch on my off time.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to type this out. Cheers!

• Telorand@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Don’t even need another computer to test out building Arch. Try it in a VM first, then you’ll know what to expect when you do it on bare metal!

If you want to try Debian, look up Spiral Linux. It is to Debian as Endeavor is to Arch. I tried it out in a VM, and I was surprised how painless it was. Also, they have a few sane defaults from the get go, so it’s better for more people.

Good luck!