• Dirt_Owl [comrade/them, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 days ago

Oh my god yes, this 100 percent. I study ecology and it frustrates me to no end just how little people are taught about just what environmental collapse is and what it really means. This planet is over 4 billion years old. In that time we have only had six extinction events. They are a HUGE fucking deal. It takes millions of years for life to recover from one of these events. Hell, we’re lucky there even is life left after the permian-triassic extinction event(it killed like 90% of species).

These rich fucks that think they can wait it out in some air conditioned bunker are idiots, airconditioning doesn’t even work once you get to a certain heat. If they think it’s going to be like some post apocalyptic survival fantasy they’re also out of luck. If they manage to wipe out insects, something that’s never happened before (but might because of pesticides, disease, a million other things stressing them) the cascade effect will crash the entire Earth’s biome.

On top of that, they’re are going to have over 8 billion diseased, hear stroked, starving, common people looking to beat their asses.