More than a dozen former Ronald Reagan staff members have joined dozens of other Republican figures endorsing the Democratic nominee and vice-president, Kamala Harris, saying their support was “less about supporting the Democratic party and more about our resounding support for democracy”.

• disguy_ovahea@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

Sorry my reply was unrelated. I’m also discussing Israel in another thread on this post.

I think the only way Trump would negotiate peace for Ukraine/Russia would include relinquishing Ukrainian land to Russia, and would very likely not include the safe return of the tens of thousands of abducted Ukrainians.

• GarbageShootAlt2@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

No worries about the Israel part

I would say that yes, it would certainly involve reliquishing land, that’s the reality of the situation. I don’t think there’s any credence to the “abducted Ukrainian” story. On the off chance you mean POWs, they would surely be returned. If you mean the children who Russia evacuated from the war zones that it controlled, most likely the children with a surviving guardian will be reunited with them as has already happened, and the children who can’t be reunited with a guardian (for any number of reasons) will wind up in the local foster system in Donbass. The Ukrainian government loves crying wolf about being the victim of a supposed genocide by Russians, but here as ever there simply isn’t adequate reason to believe it’s true.

To be clear, I’m not saying Trump would take any action an anglosphere liberal would approve of (though I think his stance on Ukraine is the one thing he supports that is surprisingly reasonable if it’s true), I’m just trying to explain as best as I understand it the things Putin would take into consideration. This is of course all in the “pro” column for him, but it’s also extremely unreliable (Trump could easily be lying about his position, though I believe he isn’t) and doesn’t make up for the much worse possibility of Trump dramatically increasing US involvement. As things stand, Russia is surely going to win the war, so it would be poor strategy to rock the boat with the wildcard Trump currently represents with respect to this specific issue.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 days ago

They were children abandoned in a war zone. Russia needs to do something about keeping them fed, housed, and clothed. If it didn’t, then it would still be getting accused of genocide, though in that case with more reason! Furthermore, Russia clearly and demonstrably is cooperating with humanitarian organizations to reunite families, and many have been reunited already. The accusation is alarmist nonsense from the perpetual self-proclaimed ethnic victims to justify their fascist cult to literal perpetrators of the Holocaust.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 days ago

Rescuing them isn’t the issue. Plenty of NATO nations are providing amnesty to Ukrainian refugees.

The difference here is adoption. There are no intentions to return these children to Ukraine after the invasion.

In March 2023, the International Criminal Court issued warrants, opens new tab for the arrest of President Vladimir Putin and children’s commissioner Maria Lvova-Belova on war crimes charges related to the abduction of Ukrainian children.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukrainian-children-abducted-by-russia-left-with-psychological-scars-campaigners-2024-06-15/

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 days ago

Aside from the ICC notoriously being an American running-dog, charges are not convictions. We’ve already seen Russia cooperate with returning children, we can’t say that there’s no intention of it.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 days ago

The ICC is not trustworthy, and I certainly trust the objective events that even liberal media report on when they come into conflict with what the ICC says. I don’t know what Putin says on this and have not cited him once because that would be absurd. You are denying reality in favor of statements.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    2 days ago

I referenced credible sources (here’s another) substantiating the adoption of abducted Ukrainian children by Russian families.

You referenced your own opinion coupled with speculation, and attempted to discredit widely accepts facts from multinational sources.

Yeah. I’m the one who’s denying reality.