I have not found any news article on this on a whim. Because my friends and family, I need to use Facebook Messenger, and Messenger Lite was a OK client - lightweight, no unnecessary features, etc., compared to the regular Messenger app.

Now I’m a little torn, having a Meta app on my phone is already bad, but having to downgrade to the bloated Messenger app? Not sure I will make a change. What are your thoughts?

• Notnotmike@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It’s exactly what social media platforms, particularly Facebook, want. They want you to feel locked in because your friends are there

I don’t know why people don’t just use more SMS. You don’t need all the fancy bells and whistles, it shouldn’t change the conversation you’re having, especially with the gradual rollout of rich messages, and it has a wider audience than Facebook will ever have. More people have SMS than have Facebook

• Notnotmike@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Everyone outside of the U.S. almost assuredly still has SMS capabilities, it’s just not common utilized because everyone is already on WhatsApp or Telegram. It’s where their friends are, locking them into the ecosystem, which is exactly what I just said. And I would be willing to wager the only reason WhatsApp really got huge was because SMS hasn’t always been free to use and may still not be free in some countries and with some plans.

Telegram, Signal and WhatsApp are fine, as for privacy how exactly are SMS better?

I wasn’t speaking to privacy specifically, but where all your friends are.

If you want privacy, then you shouldn’t be using Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp anyway, considering both are owned by Meta and their privacy track record is shaky at best.

Signal is a great choice, but we get back to the main point where not everyone is on Signal, and once you are on Signal you’re locked in to using Signal and must have their app to participate in the conversation.

My point wasn’t that SMS is better, but it’s simpler and more widely available and doesn’t require a standalone application to use.

Ideally we would use an open standard like the Matrix standard to communicate, that way you can download whatever application you want and have all the privacy you could ever desire, but not have to download some random messaging application just to catch up from Gary from primary school

• WagesOf@artemis.camp
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I wish matrix would catch on too. Basically every non US app is still tied to a damn phone number for auth, so it’s not better than sms for mobility anyway.

• Seasoned_Greetings@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m not on board with sms being a better service in general, but it’s kind of difficult to argue that other messaging services are superior when sms is the only one designed to be accessible without internet access.