They’re still tasty but the boules are too short to make decent sandwiches with.

I used less starter, more salt, and a shorter proof time than the recipe called for but they still collapsed. I think I need to cut the amount of starter more aggressively.

• benji@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This. So difficult to get right. August is ending and I’m still tweaking amounts.

• 3l3s3@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Do you overnight proof at room temperature? I have only done fridge proofing until now.

• RBWells@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Always in the refrigerator for me. Summer lasts most of the year and house cooled to 78F in summer. It doesn’t have to look like it rose in the refrigerator - even if it looks nearly the same as it did it will rise in the oven if you bake it closed up. Cold dough into hot pan, close it to generate steam. Take off the lid after about 20-30 minutes and marvel at the oven rise then finish it open. Also so much easier to score cold dough.

That 78 is perfect for tepache and ginger beer.

• LastYearsPumpkin@feddit.ch
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Oh, I overnight proof in just little proofing baskets after I form the loaf. Don’t need the whole mixing bowl in the fridge. Still needs a little room, but not so much as a big mixing bowl.