• LilB0kChoy@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Firstly, nobody comes to our door “unexpectedly”. We’re alerted and have them on camera before they hit our front walk.

Secondly, our dogs lose their minds barking when my wife comes home from work, when we have expected company, when we come back from running errands, when our neighbor comes home from work and slams his car door etc. etc. etc.

It’s almost like they both have high amounts of guard dog breeds in them.

• 【J】【u】【s】【t】【Z】@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      15 hours ago

Secondly, our dogs lose their minds barking when my wife comes home from work

What do you do when she comes home? What does she do when she comes in the door as far as greeting you and the dog?

when we have expected company

How do you greet your company? What do you do with the dog from the moment the bell rings?

Practice with expected company. You and your family stay seated in the room and ask a friend knock on the door.say, “come in its open.” Stay seated, let your friend come in and take a seat. Everyone ignore the dog. If the dog is not calm throughout after one or two tries at this, I will eat my hat.

when we come back from running errands,

When you get home from errands, what is your dog’s experience? Is it a bunch of excitement and greetings? Lots of attention for the dog? Immediate play, petting, or food? Do you start arguing when you get in the door?

when our neighbor comes home from work and slams his car door etc. etc. etc.

Do you watch the neighbor come home and gripe about the loud noises? When you hear a loud noise outside, do you run to the window? Go outside to see what it is? Talk about it? Pay attention to it?

Regardless of breed, your dogs are going to pay attention to what you pay attention to, and their emotions are going to mimic their human’s, with very little exception. If you hear noise and then look out the window, obviously your dog is going to get excited about that noise and want to look for it, too.

• LilB0kChoy@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 hours ago

Well damn! You’re 0/2!!! Look at you go!

Maybe, just maybe, two comments on Lemmy, one not even directly about our dogs, isn’t enough for your armchair analysis.

Don’t worry, I don’t expect you to actually eat your hat, though that was a foolish thing to say.