both companies notably ruined the internet in the 2010s by consolidating discourse then taking various steps to destroy the user experience and the feel of the communities for profit.

so, broadly, the web went from cozy, small hobby forums in the 90s and 00s, then with the 10s as a transitional period, the 20s being practically complete corporate control of online discourse.

it’s a bummer. but nothing lasts forever. where will we go next?

• OpenStars@discuss.online
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

(1) I don’t know for some of them, possibly not

(2) I don’t know if you’ve noticed but… Reddit has changed from what it used to be 😜

(3) One I know uses Reddit, but argued that the niche subs over there are fine - like maybe ones dedicated to a single game. Those likely escaped much of the controversy that we over here talk about happening in the big subs. I still left mine - bc fuck spez, and more importantly what he tried to do to 3rd party app devs, plus what that means for the platform in the long run, but if we are talking “mainstream” people here… they stayed, and like it more than they don’t like it. It takes all kinds, to fill a world social media platform.

(4) “political” aside, I’m talking about extremist content, that advocates for literal murder, see e.g. some comments in here, which you may ofc argue that “it’s only joking”, but (a) no, it’s really not, and anyway (b) that’s besides the point bc it’s more about how people are receiving such messages, and deciding to leave Lemmy rather than stay (more commentary here)