Marques Brownlee, known as MKBHD, faced backlash over his new wallpaper app, Panels, due to its high subscription cost ($49.99/year) and concerns over excessive data permissions.

Brownlee acknowledged user feedback, promising to adjust ad frequency for free users and address privacy concerns, clarifying that the app’s data disclosures were broader than intended.

The app, which offers curated wallpapers and shares profits with artists, aims to improve over time, despite criticisms of its design and monetization approach.

• Squizzy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 hours ago

Fifty fifty is what MKB said was the split, which is a predatory figure. Apple charges less and people are up in arms about their predatory practices.

I dont know what the sticky hands comment means.

• ilinamorato@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 hour ago

I dont know what the sticky hands comment means.

I’m not brave enough to use my phone without a case, because I know I’ll drop it. Either you’re braver than me, richer than me, or you have better grip than me.

Fifty fifty is what MKB said was the split, which is a predatory figure.

50% of the revenue or 50% of the profit? Because if they’re paying the artists first and footing the bill for hosting the app out of the other 50%, that’s a pretty good deal.