Nobody kidney wants to work anymore

I do have government funded insurance so I will pay less than $200. Which I will only be able to afford if I pass Go.

Itemized hospital bill from the emergency room in the US. Listed are various services including IV, medications, and imaging. The costs range from $5 for an antinausea tablet to $500 for a pregnancy test and almost $7000 for a CT scan.

• Tippon@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

UK here. I had a similar day to you, but it turned out to be a very severe case of double pneumonia, caused by an undiagnosed autoimmune disease. I had multiple organ failure, was put into a medically induced coma, and was hospitalised for about two months.

14 years later, I’ve had countless tests and scans, and had a kidney transplant. Like you, I’ve only ever paid for things like parking and meals that I chose to buy.

The fact that people defend the American system is beyond my understanding 🤷🏻‍♂️

• rowinxavier@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Damn right! I loved the NHS when I lived in the UK. I broke my ankle when I was a kid over there, same deal, into the hospital, xrays, cast, etc, not a cent out of pocket for my family. I got a nice pair of crutches on load which I returned at the end and even got to try using a wheelchair when we went to Tesco because I stacked it (Aussie slang for fell over badly) on the way in on my crutches and they panicked, so yay for new experiences! Overall, 10/10 would recommend the NHS as of 1998, and the Australian Medicare system as of the rest of my experiences (2007, 2012, 2023) which resulted in hospitalisation.