Up untill a week ago Nofrills carried these “three packs” of salmon for $10. Now the same pack contains two for the same $10. I thought it felt light when I bought it yesterday.

This comes to about $0.02 increase per gram, and a $1.10 price increase overall. Or a 11% increase in price overall. Meanwhile inflation is at 6-7%?

• kite@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I have lots of stomach issues and can’t eat a lot of foods, which means I mostly eat the same few things over and over. One of the few things I can have reading out is a particular local restaurant’s chicken strips, and I’d get them for lunch a couple times a month. They’ve raised their prices twice in the last 6 months, and what used to be 6-8 strips for$6 is now 5 chicken strips - just the chicken, no fries or other sides - for $10. If I’m feeling masochistic, I’ll get myself and my father each one of their chef salads. Two of those are now $27. They are a very, very popular place and usually crazy busy, but since that last hike I’ve noticed the parking lot at lunchtime is often half empty. This is not a wealthy area, people can’t afford these prices. They are going to greed themselves right out of business.

They’ve also lost every single long-time employee they had. And when I say long, I mean 15, 20 years working there. I watched most of them grow up, get married and have families. Every. Single. One. is gone, and I’ve seen most of them at other restaurants now. Their staff is now different every time I go in there, and service sucks and orders are frequently wrong. My work stopped ordering food from there for meetings because of it. Greed, greed, greed, with a healthy dose of apparent staff mistreatment. Story of the world at large nowadays.

• maniacal_gaff@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

If you are paying a restaurant to make your chef salads and chicken strips you have no reason to complain about price when you can easily make those for 1/4 the cost yourself with ingredients from a grocery store.

• evranch@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Sometimes a guy just wants to not have to cook and to just go eat some god damn chicken strips

Apparently even the simplest pleasures in life are luxuries now.

• time_lord@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve never been able to make a single salad for less than the price of a salad at a normal-priced resturaunt, ever. Sure I can make 10 salads for the price of one, but it’s really hard to buy 1/4 a tomato, or 1/2 a head of lettuce from a grocery store.

• RegularGoose@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

“If you like eating at restaursnts once in a while, you deserve not to be able to afford to eat!”

Fuck off, prick.