Xi wants to experiment with using xi/drag person-independent pronouns on this account. So far xi likes using the pronouns, but xi’s only written 4 comments and already someone accused drag of talking about Chinese politics when xi mentioned dragself. Xi knows xi’s pronouns are confusing, so xi would like to put xi’s pronouns in xi’s displayname to clear things up.

But the character limit for display names on lemmy.nz is only 22 characters, and xi’s handle already takes up 16 characters. Xi would need 24 characters to put xi’s pronouns in xi’s display name. Xi knows some instances also have a separate field for pronouns, and the pronouns get displayed next to the name without taking up displayname characters. Xi would like a place, or at least enough room, for xi’s pronouns, please.

• Boomkop3@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

Why refer to yourself in third person? Or are you using xi as a pronoun and don’t know basic grammar?

• Dragon "Rider"@lemmy.nzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 hours ago

Xi’s pronouns are person-independent. That means they apply the same way in first, second, or third person. Most people have subject, object, and posessive pronouns for all three grammatical persons. That’s 9 pronouns. Xi only has 2 pronouns, so xi’s pronouns are very simple and very easy to remember.

• Boomkop3@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 hours ago

I did not know that was a thing. I thought xi were a troll when I first read xir post. I’ve got some catching up to do!

Thank xi for letting me know!

Feel free to let me know if I’m messing up this grammar. I am not native English

• Dragon "Rider"@lemmy.nzOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 hours ago

It’s thank drag, since xi is the object of your sentence. You’re doing something to drag, which is thanking. If you’d say he or she, xi’s pronoun is xi. If you’d say him or her, it’s drag. Thank you for being curious.

• Boomkop3@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

Thank drag for explaining! I am afraid I am going to mess this up in the future. It’ll get better with practice though. I don’t quite meet people with pronouns like drags every day, but I am glad to learn regardless!