Return-to-office orders look like a way for rich, work-obsessed CEOs to grab power back from employees::White-collar workers temporarily enjoyed unprecedented power during the pandemic to decide where and how they worked.

• Diplomjodler@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Managers are managers because they’re good at playing power games, not because they’re good at their jobs. These games are harder to play if people aren’t there. That’s why they’re so scared.

• lustrum@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

When I got my newest job the boss was bragging about I can work as much overtime as I want at 1.5x. like bitch I want undertime, let me work less!

• Muddybulldog@mylemmy.win
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Rule for my team is I don’t care where you are as long as shit gets done and I can find you if I need you.

• Ajen@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Some managers are actually really good at resolving conflicts without bias and keeping the team functioning smoothly. In tech at least, people who make things aren’t always that great at interacting with other people.

Of course, the kind of manager I’m talking about doesn’t care how/when/where the work gets done, and they don’t micro-manage.

• Diplomjodler@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

OK OK, I’m not saying all managers are like that. But I’ve certainly met a lot of them in my time.