Return-to-office orders look like a way for rich, work-obsessed CEOs to grab power back from employees::White-collar workers temporarily enjoyed unprecedented power during the pandemic to decide where and how they worked.

• Elivey@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

And there’s people out there who work just as much but will never make the same amount of money. When you have the privilege to never worry about cleaning, laundry, taking care of your kids, grocery shopping, cooking, and all the numerous bullshit things that just add up to consume your time that you can wave away when you were born rich allow you to do that. They don’t consume your day and energy.

Not that everyone if suddenly given that kind of time would do what he does, but I don’t think they should. I think he’s the type of person who looking back on his deathbed will regret only spending 2 hours a day with his family. That’s really sad.

• Iteria@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

on his deathbed will regret only spending 2 hours a day with his family. That’s really sad.

I don’t know if you work and have kids, but honestly 2 hours of focused quality time with your kids is honestly amazing. I get 5 hours with my kid in the afternoon and that’s because I’m privileged and I can pick her up exactly when she gets out of school. I still don’t get to really hang out and just play with her those whole 5 hours because I still have to do things like cook and clean.

Sure on the weekends I manage more, but honestly 2 hours of just nothing but you and kid time is pretty normal for a working parent that isn’t working insane hours. That guy will regret not going to recitals and stuff, but he won’t be disconnected from his kids. I sure didn’t get 2 hours a day during the week from my exhausted parents.

• Elivey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Are you a rich CEO or were your parents? Probably not, your parents probably didn’t have the privilege to not worry about all the things I listed. Which is why they got two hours a day with you because they were taking care of all the little things in life that just have to get done. So yeah, I agree, being a lower class working couple getting 2 hours a day is pretty good.

But imagine if your parents were working that much purely by choice not necessity. Not to make sure you had enough money to have the necessities of life, but to just have a bigger bank dick than the other guys. To have more power and status through money. Someone choosing to work insane hours to get $800,000 per year over $700,000 or whatever could afford to work much much less in exchange to spend way more time with their kids because they have that privilege.

My point is that CEO is squandering the privilege to spend more time with their family, a privilege that your parents didn’t have.

• Iteria@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

I hear you, but I’m just saying that he probably won’t have any regrets about his kid’s childhood or literally everyone would. He’s spending a typical amount of time with his kids.

Could he spent more? Yeah. Will he have regrets around his life? Yes. That man will die of a heart attack or exhaustion, but his children will know him. And worse still, they’ll know that compared to most super rich parents, their dad paid them more mind than others in their peer group. Wealthy parents tend to offload their children onto others.

I get it. I have a kid and kids really eat into living your life even if you love them.