• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    23 hours ago

The reactionary rage against even the idea of “Atheism+” damned the New Atheist moment for me. Perish the thought that atheism as a movement actually try to improve society somewhat. No! The purpose of atheism is a sense of superiority against those impoverished, ignorant, superstitious fools! Atheism is cruise control for smartness and total immunity to being tricked or conned! smuglord

• BurgerPunk [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

This. Same thing i went through. Eventually i asked what’s the point? And for nu atheism the only point was watching Hitchens epically own some nobody with Oxford debate shit on Youtube. I started looking at humanism - but all they cared about was stories about “they’re making my kids say god in the pledge of allegiance” or “some southern city is building a ten commandments monument!” No movement that isn’t explicitly left wing can ever even imagine the possiblity of a better world*

*actually Sam Harris thinks he’s imagining a better world, but its through genocide, holy wars, and phrenology.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Sam Harris’ cult is so fucked up that they see a “better” world as a vulgar deterministic panopticon of cishet white techbros lording over whatever remnant of the rest of humanity they haven’t outright annihilated yet.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 hours ago

Its no wonder that Sam Harris was Dave Rubin’s first guest, and was Joe Rigan’s original “smart guy guest”. He is the ultimate dumb guys intellectual. Like he knows absolutely nothing about anything he talks about.

That’s why everything is a “thought experiment.” He doesn’t know anything outside of his own thoughts

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 hour ago

In the second installment, I’ll be making the case that Sam Harris is not only a fraud, but also a white supremacist. See you then!

Hell yeah. Theres so much wrong with Harris it needs a part two