I’m curious about the creative ways people store spools. Seen some interesting ideas online. Share pictures if you can.

Currently, I just have bins full of about a dozen spools each, but it isn’t elegant or pretty. Need some new ideas.

• empireOfLove2@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 hours ago

Are you trying to keep the spools sealed in bins with dessicant? If you’re in a moist climate, using plastic bins with some foam gasket added to the lids and a pile of dessicant is the only way to really keep filament long term without it turning into a wet bubbly mess in like two weeks. That’s somewhat unavoidable and means you can’t use many other storage methods, unless you are drying or printing from a dryer every time. Or are lucky like me and live in a desert.

At the college makerspace I used to help run, we had some shelf racking installed with rails that are parallel to the wall and about 5" apart. Spools sit perpendicular to the wall with their round faces cradled by the two rails. There’s also a standalone wood rack with similar rails that can be moved where needed. The filaments are grouped by type and each section is labelled, and then the filament itself is exposed so you can see color since it sits perpendicular to the wall. I’ll see if I can find some photos of it later.