I don’t know how many people in this sub/magazine/community would consider themselves experts in the realm of retro handhelds, but I suspect the average knowledge here is a bit higher than “the old place”. But, as more and more users migrate (fingers crossed!), I thought it might be a good idea to have a space where users can post what device(s) they have. Other users can ask their opinions on their devices or other more technical questions.

Sure, there is a lot of information already out there, but there is frequently more to a handheld than just the specs. Comfort is a big issue, support is another, and these and other issues may be hard to quantify just off of a few popular YouTubers reviews.

I’m hopeful this, or some other post like this, could become a safe haven to just ask questions directly to people that own and have used their device for a good period of time.

First, I’d like to offer some great info that I refer to quite frequently!

Spreadsheet of all current/upcoming emulation handhelds

Retrosizer - This web site allows you to view the sizes of many retro handhelds. Make sure your browser is at 100% view size, to get actual device sizes on your screen

Secondly (and finally), my devices are: RG280v, RG351v, Retroid Pocket 2+, Retroid Flip, PlayDate, Miyoo Mini Plus, Logitech G Cloud, AYN Odin Base, and Steam Deck.

• yukichigai@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Well I don’t have much in the way of questions at the moment, but I can at least provide answers about the few devices I have. I have a Steam Deck, PSP-1000 (a.k.a. PSP Fat), and formerly a Dingoo A320.

• Gorejelly@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Did the A320 break? Was given away? Sold? Just curious. I completely missed the boat on the A320 but I’m fascinated by the device.

Anything you’d care to share? Some good (and bad?) emulation moments? How were the controls? Did it feel good in the hands?

• yukichigai@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I gave it away, as a present actually. Emulation on it was pretty good I have to say, at least for what it could handle. The built-in CPS-1/2 and Neo Geo emulator is weirdly picky about what games it’ll run but it’s not hard to find a comprehensive set of everything it’s capable of running. Battery life was great, the controls were responsive, and the screen was very clear. Only problem I ever had with it was the plastic slider for the power breaking, which is such a common issue that replacements were trivial to find. Might be a problem now though.

As far as how it felt, it had the same downside a lot of other “lots of sharp right angles” designs have in that it can be a little awkward to use for extended periods if you’re playing something that requires heavy use of the shoulder buttons. Other than that it was really light, really comfortable. I used it daily for literally years.

Oh yeah, it had a handful of features that I never really used, like the FM tuner and the video output. Can’t really review those. I did use the audio/video playback out of curiosity and it worked well enough, but codec support is obviously out of date by modern standards.

• Gorejelly@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Thanks for the response! You’ve only made me want one more!

But looking at those auction prices, I think I will have to just content myself with looking at reviews of the device and talking to owners like yourself.