It all started with the unofficial godot discord admin dealing with some chuds and people turning their ire towards the Godot Foundation staff instead.

Since Godot has stubbornly remained on the Xitter nazi bar as a valid space for PR and social media interaction and dared to promote the Wokot hashtag and reiterate their progessiveness, the reactionaries infesting that space are now piling on their socials and harassing everyone they can get their eyes on.

Examples

Anyway, solidarity with the targets of harassment. I hope they finally realize that Xitter is a lost cause.

Update: Godot is being review-bombed

Fortunately the reactionary backlash seems to be having the opposite effect

• Grandwolf319@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 hours ago

as soon as you say the word “woke” you have ruined the conversation.

And as soon as you have “banned” a word from conversation regardless of context, you have ruined your credibility (in my eyes, obviously).

• Buttons@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 hour ago

I did not suggest banning any words.

To understand why I’m opposed to the word “woke”, you must first acknowledge this fact:

Sometimes people have different definitions of the same word.

If you’re willing to accept that, then it logically follows that using a word that people have different definitions of will cause more confusion than understanding. If our goal in speaking is to convey understanding, then that is best accomplished by avoiding words where people have conflicting definitions.

We’ve all learned that there are facts and opinions, but there is a third category: definitions.

If you watch for it, you will see that many disagreements boil down to nothing more than disagreeing about the definition of a single word. If we temporarily avoid using that word, suddenly we find ourselves in agreement, or at least having a better understanding of each other.

• s12@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

I mean, there are plenty of words that are used almost exclusively to cause offensive. Swears and slurs. Often it can be debatable whether or not a word counts as a swear or slur, but it’s usually pretty clear. I prefer to avoid using words that are intended to cause offence.

The word “woke” doesn’t seem to fall into these categories, but it’s still a term that seems to have been polarised by both groups. I don’t think that word would ruin a discussion that was already political, but it would definitely cause a discussion to become political.

As far as one group is concerned, being “woke” is inherently good and means being aware of modern issues and accepting of marginalised groups.
      As far as the other is concerned, being “woke” is requiring all media to have this representation and lashing out when it isn’t inserted in a certain way; thus, you can be supportive of lgbt+ rights and the rights of marginalised groups while still being vehemently “anti woke”.

Because of this conflict in definitions it’s understandable that the Twitter manager might want to use this term, and it’s understandable that people would be against it.

I feel the polarisation of this term may be being done for the drama people on both sides to farm engagement.

• Buttons@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        56 minutes ago

“Woke” is a problem because people have different definitions, and no matter what Webster or any other authority says the definition is, people will continue to have differing definitions.

How can we reach understanding when we don’t even agree on the definition of words?

This is way to nuanced to deal with on fucking Twitter. If you use the word “woke” on Twitter, expect a lot of misunderstanding, talking past each other, and bad faith arguments to follow.