I’m a bit confused at the explosive growth of Lemmy and the slower growth of Kbin. Do the stats reflect the reality or is there a problem with the data being fed back to the various stat hubs?

I know the difference is partly because Lemmy was a larger platform, and is better known but the growth of Kbin seems suprisingly flat while the community seems to be getting more and more active?

• GunnarRunnar@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

And that’s surprising, given it’s s newer, less-established platform. But it’s not like Lemmy was a household name before this.

• MxM111@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I can give only my impression why I have chosen kbin. Better looking, more clear interface.

• dandb@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yeah there’s something about the way kbin works that just resonates with me more than Lemmy.

• mihnt@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Kbin is better on PC, Lemmy is better on mobile. At least for me. Only downside I’ve found is I can’t upvote comments on Lemmy while on mobile.

• MxM111@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Even on mobile I like the look of kbin more, but functionality is better for lemmy. I think it will change in future, kbin is just too young. In any case for mobile I have to see an app in a long term.

• GunnarRunnar@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Those are actually really valid reasons and presumably why I’m liking kbin as well. Design and feel are really big factors for user adaption, thanks for sharing your experience.

• Kichae@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

It’s also surprising because there are just fewer prominent kbin-based websites. Lemmy has lemmy.ml, lemmy.one, lemmy.world, and sh.itjust.works. And Beehaw, I guess, but they specifically throttle their growth.

kbin has kbin.social, and then a bunch of instances that are just way, way lower profile.

I mean, it’s so surprising that we should probably question it a little bit.

• Awwab@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Kbins documentation for hosting is a bit of a mess and leaves a lot to be desired where Lemmy is much more turnkey for someone looking to setup an instance.

• kestrel7@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Anecdotally, from looking at Mastodon, it seems like people there are hyping kbin (and fedia.io) more than lemmy… that could just be the people I happen to be following, though.

• toxic@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Well, you can use Mastadon with a kbin username so there’s that. I don’t think you can with Lemmy.

• 0x1C3B00DA@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

You cannot use mastodon from kbin or lemmy. I think you might be referencing the fact that from kbin you can create Note posts, which appear on mastodon, pleroma, calckey, etc as a normal (tweet-like) post.

That’s not why mastodon users are hyping kbin over lemmy. There are rumors going around that the lemmy developers are bad people and a lot of mastodon users now consider lemmy blacklisted because of that

• PositiveNoise@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Those graphs are quite informative, and yeah, it seems more like similar growth for both sites based on that info.

• toxic@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Honestly, looking at active users over the last 24 hours I’d say kbin is growing faster than lemmy.

• BirdLawyerPerson@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Even setting aside user stats, kbin.social threads still manage to rise pretty high when sorted by Active/Hot from lemmy instances viewing all threads/channels/magazines. I created accounts on several instances, and we’ll see which one wins out on how I actually want to use these sites/services, but for the most part there’s a ton of overlap between what regular users are seeing from each service.