• tormeh
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 hours ago

Unfortunately not. For me the main problem is discoverability. There’s no recommendation algorithm except for boosts. I’m not suggesting Mastodon integrate some kind of machine learning or other advanced stuff, but number of likes from followed accounts and a threshold would be nice for a start. As it is, Mastodon is just bad for entertainment purposes. Maybe it works for other purposes, but for entertainment I’d rather have the algorithm-fuelled quote-tweet dunking on Twitter.

• Munkisquisher@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 hours ago

There’s the explore tab in the mastodon app that shows you trending hashtags, and recommends people to follow based off who you already follow. There’s trending accounts that just post about trending items too. Use them as your algorithm.

• seaQueue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 hours ago

There’s definitely an opportunity for someone to run their own curation service for personalized feeds based on a user’s activity on other social networks.

I tend to just check All periodically for the first couple of months and follow tags and people that suit my own interests and build my own feed from zero. But that takes effort and time, and for folks who want an option further toward the convenience end of the privacy/convenience spectrum I suspect it would be a fairly popular option.