I control my media pc running Popos with a remote mouse/keyboard combo I found on Amazon and while this works pretty good, I would like a more “big picture mode” like experience that works well with using a remote.

I know theres some distros out there that are geared specifically for a media pc but I don’t wanna reinstall my system. My internet is painfully slow at times and drops out frequently (yay for rural America) so even doing system updates can take a long time or just time out. I’d rather not babysit my pc to get everything working again how i want it so if I could find just a desktop environment to use that would be great. If not, such is life.

So far, Plasma bigscreen looked the most promising: https://plasma-bigscreen.org/ but any recommendations would be helpful. I’ve tried looking some up myself but searching the web has become pretty useless for something more niche or specific like this and I figure the good people on here would have better advice anyways.

• noughtnaut@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

I’m just running a pain Linux with the MATE desktop, with increased sizes of mouse cursor and UI elements.

The big thing is using VLC with a wireless keyboard, and using a white sharpie on the keycaps to show the quite customised VLC shortcuts.

It’s been years since I tried Kodi et al, and I always found the actual media playback to be lacking some customisation (eg. audio or subtitle timing offsets).

In lieu of a media database, I simply mark the movie folders with file emblems when I’ve watched a movie or episode (VLC keeps track of partial viewings, resuming where it left off).

• Bluefruit@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

I mostly use this pc as a streaming box for online content like youtube or crunchyroll so not really sure kodi would fit that anyways. Will probably have jellyfin up again at some point so might use kodi for that? Idk, mot something im doing anytime soon.

Rn im using the default for PopOS and like you, scaled the ui. Its fine, but not quite right yknow? Ui scaling in Linux hasnt ever felt quite right to me especially when I’m using a tv.

I also use this pc to do other things so its not just a media PC all the time which is another reason why i was looking for a desktop environment rather than a whole new os.

Is mate pretty good for scaling well? I havent used it before but a small gripe is that the default for pop doesnt scale well when the taskbar always shows. Applications get cut off at the bottom. Pretty annoying.

• Pumpkin Escobar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Similar to previous reply about MATE with font size changes, I do that with plasma. I hadn’t seen plasma big screen you linked, I’ll definitely try that one out. I’ve wondered about https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_Mobile? Like these sort of niche projects don’t always get a lot of attention, if the bigscreen project doesn’t work out, I’d bet the plasma mobile project is fairly active and given the way it scales for displays might work really well on a tv

Speaking of scaling since you mentioned it. I have noticed scaling in general feels a lot better in Wayland. If you’d only tried it in X11 before, might want to see if Wayland works better for you.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          34 minutes ago

My desktop pc runs Fedora with Wayland currently and it works really well. I like wayland a lot and was trying to use it on my media pc as well but it wasnt playing well with Firefox for video playback. Not sure if this was fixed yet or if it was even a bug but it was not good when i tried it on kubuntu. Haven’t tried it om popos yet but it might just be an issue with gnome. Ive never been a fan of gnome ever since i started messing around with linux.

Love kde plasma though, its def the best DE ive found so far. Coming from Windows and all the customization it has, its so nice.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

I have looked at kodi briefly, not sure if its exactly what I’m looking for but could be a viable option. Have heard a lot of good things about it of course. Appreciate the suggestion!

• stoy@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

To be honest, I mostly made the comment as a joke.

But if you like them, check them out, however know that Fluxbox will not support Wayland, you need to look at Waybox for that.

I have no idea about is WindowMaker supporrs Wayland.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

Ah good to know. I thought they looked interesting and very customizable which is why i though it was a legit recommendation lol.

For this pc, wayland support isn’t much of a concern atm but also good to know. Appreciate the info :)