(Yes, of course I know that’s not the Enterprise-D and that TNG came out in 1986, but you try making a better debunking joke.)

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

Faking the moon landing would have been a massive coverup requiring the cooperation of at least one foreign nation. (Australia, because of Parkes)

During the Nixon administration. Nixon couldn’t even cover up one little burglary.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

This is the one thing that kills me with one of my favorite space movies, interstellar… they have that one scene at the school saying the landings were faked to bankrupt the soviets…like how the fuck did that make it into the movie.

• bitwaba@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

It’s not there as some commentary by Christopher Nolan that the moon landings didn’t happen. It’s there to show that schools are willing to teach a lie as long as it serves the narrative of “past oppulence is what destroyed our world, so get out there and be a farmer!”

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 days ago

O damn never thought of it that way. I went and looked it up further and you’re spot on, it seems it was put into the movie to make people become farmers and not look to space. Basically try and solve the problems on earth.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

That was making fun of people who believed things like that. It’s very obvious if you’ve watched the movie.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 day ago

Asking about that scene in Interstellar? The entire movie is a love letter to NASA and science. What do you mean?

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 day ago

I understand it is. It’s one of my favorite sci-fi movies, but like myself and others we were confused with the scene, but others have explained it.

• Dragon "Rider"(drag)@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

That guy lady is a silly and you’re supposed to think she’s wrong. She’s teaching lies in order to justify a bad worldview.