Note that Bashir is not yawning, but doing that weird wall shuffling-screaming thing that no one understands, probably not even Siddig or the director at the time of filming.

Now MOOOOVE ALOOOOOONG HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEM! (Whacks those weird wood sticks together.)

• ensignrolaren@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Just to preface my opinion, I think it’s ok to disagree on this haha. HOWEVER I don’t think it’s much of a travesty anytime Chakotay didn’t get to have a main plot. He’s a really wooden actor (made all the more obvious by mulgrew’s strength) who was given a really poorly defined character (as you can see by the way his hobbies are, like, whatever they needed to be for the plot to move? And never the same?) And sure, the powers that be wanted eye candy… but seven did end up being a super substantial character. She had some of the best stories and made all the best characters better just by being there. She was an amazing foil!

• Yeah, don’t get me wrong; Seven wasn’t a bad character at all. And I completely agree that Chakotay was a bit under-defined as a character. But I simply attribute that to the writers themselves not really being interested in him enough to define him better or use him more. Maybe that was because of Beltran’s acting… I love theatre and such, but I can’t say I’m all that good at telling good acting from bad acting… If I can believe their feelings, that’s good enough for me and I always thought Beltran shows a lot of emotion in his eyes. 😅