Hey all,

It’s been slightly over two weeks since lemmyrs started. It’s been pretty fun watching the community grow!

Some instance stats for you:

$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs            97M  1.7M   96M   2% /run
/dev/vda1        24G   15G  7.1G  68% /
tmpfs           485M     0  485M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs            97M  4.0K   97M   1% /run/user/1002
$ free -mh
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           969Mi       445Mi        77Mi       134Mi       445Mi       240Mi
Swap:          2.3Gi       571Mi       1.8Gi
lemmy=# select count(id) from local_user;
 count
-------
(1 row)

We’re cutting it pretty close in terms of RAM and Disk usage, the user growth rate has mostly flat-lined though once r/rust came back online so I’m not too concerned. When (If) it’s time I’ll likely bump up the Vultr instance plan to something which will continue to serve us for the foreseeable future.

Previous relevant posts:

• lemmyrs@lemmyrs.orgOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think it’s likely to spike again when the api goes dark

That’s a fair point. I think I might bump up the specs of this instance over the weekend (will make an announcement prior).

I haven’t been back there, is any consensus forming regarding whether people will use /r/rust, !rust@lemmyrs.org, or !rust@programming.dev going forward?

I am still of the opinion that both can (and probably should) co-exist. This particular instance will always be Rust focused, federated and have rust dedicated micro-communities. Whether it continues to grow only time will tell I suppose.

• lemmyrs@lemmyrs.orgOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Will you update to Lemmy 0.18.0 (announced today)? The new HTTP API is allegedly more lightweight.

Of course I will! I was just waiting for a few more instances to bump theirs before I update this one.

By the way, I updated my dark theme published here for lemmy-ui 0.18.0 :)

Most excellent, I have been using your CSS with Stylebot :) You could also submit a PR to lemmy-ui repo btw with your custom theme so it gets even easier for people to try.

• Aloso@lemmyrs.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Most excellent, I have been using your CSS with Stylebot :)

Since I’ve turned it into UserCSS, I think you need the Stylus extension to use it now, sorry 😄

I wanted to make a PR for lemmy-ui, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

• Deebster@lemmyrs.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Would you be open to hosting communities for Rusty projects? I assume the answer is yes, but not with free-for-all community creation enabled.

While this is just curiosity with no group in mind, I jumped onto /r/bevy (which I wasn’t even sure existed) and there’s a sticky saying they’re looking for a new home.

• lemmyrs@lemmyrs.orgOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

So there’s two options (assuming /r/bevy even wants to consider migrating here):

1. We setup a dedicated Bevy community
        2. /r/bevy could potentially use the existing Rust: Game Development community we have here

I don’t really have preference either way. I do think that project-specific communities could certainly become a thing if people prefer to keep discussions laser focused.

And yeah, unfortunately I can’t really make it free-for-all community creation simply because of potential DDOS/spam attacks and things rampantly becoming out of hand (part of the reason the instance is also application based).

• Deebster@lemmyrs.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m not advocating for free-for-all at all! Perhaps Lemmy will get application-based community creation down the line, but until then you can always have a thread open, a comm-application community or just tell people to message you.