• Gormadt@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ll never forget my nephew asking me why I have a box of save icons.

Made me feel really old explaining it to him, but he took it in stride and we talked about older tech and the stuff it entailed.

Him and his sister were also surprised about the phone icon and why it’s referred to as, “the phone is ringing”.

Those two love to learn new things about old things and how things work.

The magic in their eyes as I touched on the idea of looking for things in the world that were designed and not natural was amazing.

“Look around and see everything that is made was designed by people. The building we’re standing next to was designed down to the nails and the ground it sits on. The foundation and the layers that were built up to ensure that the building doesn’t move were all the work of generations of progress of people working together.”

“Even the gravel?”

“Even the gravel was chosen from the work of many people for the correct size and type of stone to be suitable for placing a house on.”

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

NGL I kinda miss having a rotary phone, it made every phone call deliberate.

I don’t miss not having Caller ID though. I am happy it doesn’t cost extra to have it anymore.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

More people really should be willing to be compassionate to younger generations

Ignite their passion in the world and inspire them to take up the reigns of the future

If I can inspire them to be their best selves and to inspire others then I’ll consider that a win

• TheEmpireStrikesDak@thelemmy.club
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Aww! I had a similar thing with my new 10 year old nephew when he was about 5 and I showed him a cassette. I told him you can put music on it. I’ve got a video of him turning it over and over, asking, “How do you get music from this? It’s a total mystery.”

He and his siblings love old stuff. I’ve got them into the old 80s and 90s kid’s shows and the old games like Piranha and Commander Keen on DOSbox.

(My oldest nephew is 20 now, and when I showed him my floppy disks he did indeed refer to them as
        “the save icon”.)

• Midas@ymmel.nlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Kinda like the phone icon (📞) , phones don’t look like that anymore

• Rusty@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Caduceus is a symbol from 3000 BC and it’s still often used as a pharmacy logo despite not many people knowing what those snakes are supposed to mean.

• Uriel-238@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s a good point, the Rod of Asclepius (⚕️) and the Recipe symbol (℞) (meaning take) are both pretty ancient and still recognized.

The Rod of Asclepius is part of the Star of Life ( wikipedia ) which is a current international first-aid station symbol since the Red Cross has become too stingy with its trademark (they frown on the Red Cross in games and toys even though they’re teaching implements)

And yes, the Rod of Asclepius is commonly confused with the Hermetic Caduceus even in official medical graphics. Much like the four-leaf clover appears in seasonal St. Patricks Day merch.

• D_Air1@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, but at least I actually recognized that as a phone. The floppy disk thing has always been more of a what the hell is that kinda thing.