• Yozul@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

It was a big team that made that game. I know there were 6 full time writers for most of the development, and a pretty substantial art team as well. I don’t expect them to be able to fully recapture that lightning in a bottle that was Disco Elysium, but there was some pretty substantial talent working there. It’s certainly not a given, but it’s pretty reasonable to hope they can do something great.

• AnarchistArtificer@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

Selfishly, I hope you’re right, but with the addendum that I hope they don’t try too hard to recapture that lightning, and that they trust in their own ideas. I also hope Rostov, Kurvitz and Helen Hindpere (writer who also lost her job as things fell apart) find success and fulfillment in their future. It’s fucked up that they won’t get to work on Disco Elysium — especially Rostov and Kurvitz.

This is probably a bad example, given how it turned out, but I’m reminded of how it felt to be a Halo fan in 2013 — Halo 4 had recently come out to a mixed reception. It was the first Halo game to be developed by 343 industries rather than Bungie, and some of the disgruntled fans hoped that Bungie’s then-upcoming new game, Destiny, would scratch that itch. Destiny could obviously never be a replacement for Halo (some fans found it easier to consider the franchise to be dead), but jt wasn’t unreasonable to hope for (despite it eventually not working out that way ¯\(ツ)/¯ )