• bird@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Three Minutes: A Lengthening - documentary about three minutes of recovered video footage from a small town in Poland in the late 1930’s. The scope of it started small and it expanded continuously throughout the movie. It was really impactful. The only footage shown is the video footage itself, the narrator is Helena Bonham Carter. I highly recommend it if you like documentaries.

Let The Right One In - 2008 low budget Swedish horror film. I’d always heard it was well regarded and it did not disappoint one bit. Delightfully tense, cathartic, and unsettling.

• Tandybaum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Let The Right One In - 2008 low budget Swedish horror film. I’d always heard it was well regarded and it did not disappoint one bit. Delightfully tense, cathartic, and unsettling.

I personally also liked the remake. It get some bad reviews but I think it’s mostly unjustified. It’s probably not as good as the original but is still pretty solid.

• hootenannyshenanigan@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

“Three Minutes” sounds fascinating! Thank you for the rec! I have seen “Let the Right One In” and I feel the same way… so good, and so deeply unsettling.

• phanto@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Godzilla, 1954, original Japanese version. Some bits look fake and dated, but it stands up remarkably well. Don’t expect silly though, it had me by the left ventricle. Side note: If you ever go to Tokyo, the Lucky Dragon number 5 museum will break your heart.

• hootenannyshenanigan@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I just watched “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” for the first time. I know I know I know. I don’t know how I went so long without seeing it either. It was SO good, though. So that got me wanting to share movies well known and not so well known that people are watching.

• N-E-N@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Just watched Requiem for a Dream and now I feel like I need to lie down for a week and not exist

• maporita@unilem.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Jules. I wasn’t expecting much and ended up liking it a lot. A warm and touching film about old age and aliens, it makes a refreshing change from the run of the mill summer blockbusters.

• caseofthematts@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I started watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 this week. Now let me tell you, I got about 13 minutes in before I had to shut it off.

So instead, I watched another movie about a blue creature getting stranded on Earth. Lilo & Stitch. I’ve seen it many times, probably 6 at this point, and I never tire of it. The watercolour backgrounds are beautiful, the story and characters are wonderful. Definitely took the sourness of the Sonic movie out and replaced it with a warm feeling.

• dalispute@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Too many things, honestly. Highlights were definitely:

Infinity Pool (Cronenberg, 2023): go watch it blind, this movie is something else. Wonderful imagery, great performances, a real thinker of a plot. I think Brandon is doing his dad proud.

Cade: The tortured crossing (Breen, 2023): not sure how many Neil Breen fans lurk around here, but my friends and I drove a little over an hour to see this in theaters, and honestly what a great time. Crowd loved it, great energy and vibe throughout. Say what you will about the quality of Breen’s filmmaking, but his movies are always entertaining and he puts a lot of heart into what he does.