I’ve been fighting with some issues on my unraid server recently and I’m at a point where I need a graphics card to see the actual video out as the machine boots. The psu in the chassis has no additional connectors that I could use for additional power to a graphics card.

Can someone point me in the direction of a super cheap graphics card that will be used for console only and not 3d graphics or gaming.

• rockyracoon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

If you don’t want to deal with the used market (which might be necessary to get super cheap) the Intel Arc a310 cards have HDMI/Display Port and are slot powered so no PCIe power needed. They’re also sought after for their quite good video transcoding performance so reselling it after you’re done would be pretty easy.

• CitizenStile@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

I was very close to doing this as I could repurpose it for video transcoding but ended up going with the Nvidia GT 710.

• rockyracoon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Another option is if the machine has a serial port that might be dumping useful info as it boots. A serial to USB cable is really cheap and you can read it with PuTTY.

• NeverNudeNo13@lemmings.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

This is the way… Setup and then open a terminal and then boot the machine… Helps to have console output logged on the host machine so you can review everything after… Some boot sequences can be tens of thousands of lines long on complex machines.