with supply and demand and all… IM DEMANDING CANNED BREAD!! where’s the supply 🥺?

It replaces workers with robots so it would probably save money too.

• Brkdncr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    17 hours ago

People in the US don’t respect others property. Look at any atm machine or vending machine. There’s no way these things wouldn’t be vandalized immediately.

• kitnaht@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      16 hours ago

This is the answer. Japan has a lot of respect for others (well, for other japanese at least), so these types of machines will last a lot longer; making the payoff more palatable.

Place a vending machine outside in America, and it’ll be vandalized in a week max.

Even in highly walkable cities, you don’t see vending machines. It has nothing to do with cars, it has to do with the culture of the US being one of disrespect most of the time.

• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 hours ago

Vending machines in the USA are common, but they are typically attached to an existing business. For instance, a Walmart or gas station will commonly host several machines in its entrance area.

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        15 hours ago

Vandalize? … the entire machine would be stolen. Either by thieves wanting to steal the merchandise or money or both. Or a bunch of teens that would tie a chain to it and drag it to the end of town for fun.

• GottaKnowYourCHKN@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 hours ago

Completely this. Americans don’t like letting other people have nice things. A vending machine would be vandalized, filled with glue as a TikTok prank, attempted to be stolen, and stop working within a few days.

Americans don’t really give a shit about other people. We’re more individualistic. You got yours? Good. Fuck everyone else. If we have to have protests and fundraising efforts to TRY to convince people to help others – we got a long way to go.

Japan is built on respect for your fellow man. You can leave your wallet out somewhere and someone would return it immediately.

• OprahsedCreature@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

Respect for others property might follow respect for others but that’s not a popular concept in America

• ProdigalFrog@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 hours ago

When I visited california, there was a mall with multiple vending machines like the one in the OP for various foods and icecreams.

• Stern@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        13 hours ago

Bet it was inside the mall, with a camera watching it. Japanese vending machines like the one mentioned can be just outside nbd.

• ProdigalFrog@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 hours ago

They were in the hallways, not out on the street. I didn’t look for any cameras, but there wasn’t any security nearby that would’ve seen anyone vandalize them. If there were cameras, I can’t imagine it mean much to people wearing a mask.

I’m not saying vandalism isn’t more common in the US, I’m sure it is in compared to hyper-respectful Japan, but I don’t think it’s absolutely impossible to have these.

• Confused_Emus@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 hours ago

Growing up in the south eastern US vending machines were a common sight in a number of public spaces, and they were completely fine. No idea what third-world parts of the country the rest of these people grew up in.