link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 hours ago

10% of the Gazan people are injured, missing, or dead within a year

i assume you’re pulling the 200k number? which would be 10% of 2 million. If so it’s worth noting that only 40k deaths have been confirmed, which gives us a baseline of 2.5% of the population has been killed for sure. Upwards of 10% using estimations or whatever idk where that number comes from and frankly i don’t care enough to look it up, if you would like to elaborate on it feel free.

As far as historical references go, and i’m just pulling these out of my ass (from the internet of course) so take them with a grain of salt. The soviets seem to have lost about 10% of their population during ww2. Citing wikipedia of all sources, for ww1 and ww2

Numbers between 1-5% of the population seems to be about within the range of normalcy, in fact the average of ww1 is about 2% and ww2 is about 3% 10% is high but you would expect that to be seen with smaller populations and less armed populations (for obvious reasons) generally when smaller nations conflict, they tend to have much larger (comparatively) tolls, due to the fact that they don’t have as much land, or labor capability.

Larger nations such as the US are able to keep such low numbers primarily because they don’t have to invest a significant portion of their population to make a significant troop increase.

is this bad? Probably? But then again war is bad, so… At the end of the day, this is just a risk that you take as a smaller nation, especially going against a much bigger nation.

Drag thinks Israel wants to destroy Palestine so Israel can have Palestine’s land.

and honestly. i don’t really disagree. I don’t think colonization constitutes as genocide per se however.

Drag thinks killing 10% of the Gazan people is an act intended to destroy Palestine.

Maybe, or maybe it’s just a result of how the middle eastern warring tends to go. They’ve never exactly had high standards.

Drag thinks these are the words of politicians who want to commit genocide.

if you want to argue that the politicians are shitheads, sure, i agree, they’ve definitely said some genocidal esque language, and some really spooky shit. But so have politicians in the US. Does that directly translate? Probably, at least to some degree. But policy is always going to be fundamentally different to rhetoric at the end of the day. Look no further than US domestic politics if you need an example for this.

I came here to argue against the incorrect semantic usage of the term genocide.

• KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 hours ago

oh well if we’re including civilian deaths, and you assume i’m only talking about military deaths (which afaik i wasn’t but i didn’t look too hard at the data so lmao)

This would actually only bolster my point. As it would increase the stats i’ve presented, or decrease the ones you’ve presented.

Here’s a list of zero year olds killed by the IDF in the last year. Zero year olds are not soldiers.

also to be clear, there’s like 300 names on the list.

“When Al Jazeera launched from the Qatari capital, Doha, on Friday, November 1, 1996, it was the first independent news channel in the Arab world.” cool source bro.

Shitposting aside, i have nothing to reference this number to. It’s probably high, but that’s a cost that israel is willing to take, and clearly, it’s a cost that palestine is willing to pay. Seems to me that both parties are content with the situation.

• Dragon "Rider"(drag)@lemmy.nz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 hours ago

Those babies didn’t vote for Hamas. Most of the people in Gaza didn’t vote for Hamas. The last election was in 2006, and the median age in Gaza is 18. The percentage of currently alive Gazans who participated in that election is tiny. And Israel interfered in that election to help Hamas. Hamas is a puppet of Israel, selling Israel’s propaganda that they are at war with Gaza. They are not. They are at war with Hamas. Gaza is not Hamas. Gaza is not at war, it’s just being levelled.