Edit/Update: It turns out that my last name has a capitol letter in the middle and they put a space in it. Thank god. I can actually vote this year.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

It’s by design. We could make it easier, but certain groups benefit from making it difficult.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

The OSCE reports are usually just shy of scathing. The US reaction to those missions ranges, as far as I’m aware, from being completely oblivious to it or its results to Sheriffs trying to arrest observers.

• Jikiya@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 hours ago

Well the reason is that there are state laws against outside observers, and no treaty giving any foreign government the ability to monitor. So they’re just enforcing the laws, as they’re supposed to.

Mind you I’m not saying the UN or any other nation is going to interfere, but seems really important to follow laws around voting to make sure the attitude of enforcement isn’t lax.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            16 hours ago

I’m not too familiar with the specific legal status of the OSCE in American law, I bet there’s a treaty or the other, but generally speaking a) you’re a member and b) you regularly send out your own people as OSCE mission members into other countries to observe elections and c) Every member state gets observed (alongside non-member countries inviting the OSCE because it’s a stamp of approval and can help stabilise democracies, establish trust in the procedures). Cursory observations are done for basically all elections that aren’t strictly regional, more in-depth ones every couple of elections. It’s democracies holding each other accountable.

If Bumfuck, TX, wants to make a statement against Canadians observing their elections that’s their god-damned right but it’s also the duty of Washington to shut them the fuck up. Not too filled-in on the details either but when you start arresting people with diplomatic passports accredited by the federal level I think you should maybe take a step back and make a phone call before deploying handcuffs.

• Jikiya@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 hours ago

Well you go ahead and find those treaties for me, since I’ve never gotten a result back from a search. And I’d like to believe but have no proof of that.

• CosmicTurtle0@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

On the one hand, the UN making a resolution that they won’t trust the results of the US elections would play right into the hands of what some MAGAs are saying.

But MAGAs then agreeing to any UN resolution, especially one that requires third party oversight…

I’d say the odds are even on this.