• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 hours ago

Facts about one of the worst people in history, along with the jokey implication that he’s in hell, are so woke, aren’t they?

Clearly the non-woke thing would be to celebrate the guy who was so atrocious to the natives that even the Spanish royals were outraged and had him brought back to Spain in chains.

But hey, he “discovered America,” am I right? Ignoring the millions of people who already lived there at the time, along with the Vikings who got there 500 years before he did.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

Facts about one of the worst people in history, along with the jokey implication that he’s in hell, are so woke, aren’t they?

“Hitler is in hell.” Omg that’s hilarious. You so wise and witty and funny, what a clever connection you made in a humours way. No, that’s not a joke.

It’s woke because it isn’t a joke. It is some feel good sense woke people can go “Yea!” too and pat each other on the back.

Clearly the *non*-woke thing would be to celebrate the guy who was so atrocious to the natives that even the Spanish royals were outraged and had him brought back to Spain in chains.

No really no. I guess a non woke joke in this context would be more like “hey I’m dead, I can see me uncle!” “Umm… No he’s in a different place” “no that totally make senses, I can see that”.

It’s not a joke set purely on the premise of circle jerking some social justice statement that people pretend is constructed into a funny joke because people want to feel like they are on the right side. But it does change the pace and direction, which is how a lot of jokes are constructed.

I don’t mind dark jokes and I don’t mind clean jokes. A woke joke isn’t about being funny it’s about commended for having the right view.

But hey, he “discovered America,” am I right? Ignoring the millions of people who already lived there at the time, along with the Vikings who got there 500 years before he did.

There could be a joke in there but it wouldn’t be a good one.

Just to be clear the additional context someone else added means that joke could have had humour in it.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 hours ago

Interesting that your real issue here is about “wokeness” and not people enjoying the idea of one of the greatest monsters in history getting what he deserves.

I’m guessing I know what you think about what “place” Columbus should have ended up in.

• Dragon "Rider"(drag)@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 hours ago

Michael is trying to get Chidi to start a new hobby. He suggested Chidi try cartography, like Columbus. Janet is currently undergoing maintenance and is stuck in fun fact mode. The joke is that Janet is harshing the vibe and being a downer because she’s broken. It is funny.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 hours ago

Any joke is funny once it is explained.

Nevertheless just those two slides do not include what you have described as the funny part of the joke.