• GarbageShoot [he/him]@hexbear.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

“Collective consciousness” isn’t a gender, but if it were you should demonstrate your telepathy to some scientists. Maybe use those little cards with shapes on them.

• DroneRights [it/its]@lemm.eeOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

Oh, collective consciousness isn’t a gender, but drinking beer and watching sports is? Or maybe we’ll go to the biological essentialists and ask if a set of chromosomes is a gender. Or we could look at modern feminist theory and check whether performing for the patriarchy is a gender. Or we could go to the evolutionary anthropologists and ask if the social conditions resultant from half the population getting pregnant is a gender.

EVERY gender identity is silly. You are only denying my right to have my gender identity because you’re a transphobe and a sexist who likes some genders more than others due to familiarity.

• GarbageShoot [he/him]@hexbear.net
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    10 months ago

Either this is a conservative (/terf [i.e. conservative]) troll in poor taste or, well, I can’t really speculate on the alternative. The basic assertion of “transgender ideology” is that gender is a social performance and therefore not anchored to reproduction, chromosomes, etc.

“Produces fertile sperm” isn’t itself a social performance, it’s a biological function, which is in the domain of sex. Perhaps trans men would like to do this as most cis men do, but to say that it is a part of the gender (rather than a common feature of the sex) would be the same as asserting that they are not trans men.

“Is part of a collective consciousness” isn’t itself a social performance, it’s a biological function. Like how a trans man can neither (at the moment) perform the biological function nor the social role of fertilizing an egg, a human cannot perform the biological function of being in a collective consciousness and therefore cannot perform any such social role.

In short:

Oh, collective consciousness isn’t a gender, but drinking beer and watching sports is?

Close enough, yeah, though I’d encourage men both cis and trans to think of themselves as more than that (and I personally don’t do either)