• ohellidk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

…And to think this guy has half the vote. What a place we live in. I wish we cared more about education. If people were smarter, we wouldn’t be in this situation.

• Justas🇱🇹@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

If 20 or more years ago, a writer wanted to write a book about USA sliding to religious dictatorship or fascism, they would create this extremely clever, very charismatic machiavellian genius.

Instead, we have a bumbling buffoon who probably can’t tie his shoes in the morning, and half the people seem to worship him like a god.

• Arn_Thor@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Half the electoral college vote. Still maddening but let’s not forget that a shitty election system is the only thing keeping the Republicans in power now

• Arn_Thor@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 days ago

Depends how loose your definition of half is, I guess. Trump got 46.8% of the popular vote in 2020 vs Biden’s 51.3%.

2016: Trump 41.1% (still won) vs Clinton 48.2%. 2012: Obama 51.1% (winner) vs Romney 47.2%. 2008: Obama 52.9% (winner) vs McCain 45.7%. 2004: Bush 50.7% (winner) vs Kerry 48.3%. 2000: Bush 47.9% (still won) vs Gore 48.4%. 1996: Clinton 49.2% (winner) vs Dole 40.7% vs Perot 8.4%. 1992: Clinton 43% (winner) vs Bush 37.4% vs Perot 18.9%. 1988: Bush 53.4% (winner) vs Dukakis 45.6%. And that’s as far as I could be bothered to go back.

With the exception of Bush in 2004, every Republican president since 1988 won only because of the electoral college. See the problem?

• Tudsamfa@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

It is still bonkers that 40% of the people vote for him. No matter how bad first past the post voting, electoral collage or party polarization is, if you can convince 40% of the people to vote for this man as president, that’s a problem with the voter base, not the EC.

• Arn_Thor@feddit.uk
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 day ago

It is still bonkers that…

Yes, and my initial comment was:

Still maddening, but…

we’re in violent agreement

• frezik@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 days ago

I’m aware of the history. The EC should go. I also don’t need to miss the context of the discussion to make that point.

…And to think this guy has half the vote. What a place we live in. I wish we cared more about education. If people were smarter, we wouldn’t be in this situation.

Going by current polling, the two are statistically tied, with a few percentage points still going to RFK Jr and some undecideds. GP is correct to say “this guy has a half the vote”, and this would be true with or without the EC. If we had a population that wasn’t bending over backwards to justify sending a demented narcissist into the White House, the EC would not even be close to an issue this election.

• Arn_Thor@feddit.uk
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 day ago

I also don’t need to miss the context of the discussion…

Speaking of missing the context, my initial comment, to which you replied, was:

Still maddening [that so many vote for him], but…

Two things can be true at the same time. It’s maddening that so many vote for him, the electoral college is why republicans still win, and, I’ll throw you a bone, the electoral college probably wouldn’t be a problem if fewer people voted for Trump—but it would still be a damn stupid way to run an election.

Let me introduce a hypothetical: the electoral college didn’t exist, Republicans saw they couldn’t win on current policies as far back as 2012 and were forced to moderate to win the popular vote. We might not be in this current political climate in the first place

• DeathsEmbrace@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

If people were smarter you wouldn’t have Marijuana classified as schedule 1 and you would actually have a healthcare and not some for profit private insurance scam instead.

• MehBlah@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

Remember that half is asleep since they can’t stand anyone or anything woke.

• FlashMobOfOne@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Wasn’t that long ago that we had two candidates in evident cognitive decline, and we still would except for these embarrassing incidents.