I want to familiarise my self with the rules and workings of this app/ website how moderation is done and etc so I can be extra careful

• can@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Howdy.

Each instance has their own admin rukes and further each community has their own too.

You’re on lemmy.world but you can still I subscribe and interact with communities created elsewhere

• edric@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

No, each instance is like its own reddit website with its own subreddits (aka communities). But because of how federation works, instances are interconnected so you can also browse content from other instances on the instance you signed up with.

• baruchin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

No. Instance is like the full Reddit website, subreddits are communities here that are hosted in those instances. Check this comment, is very illustrative.

• can@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Sometimes, but not always. Lemmy is forum software and each website that hosts it is an “instance” of the lemmy software. Some are general focus such as lemmy.world and sh.itjust.works. Others are more themed like lemdro.id and lemmy.studio

Ones with a a focus are just more likely to have communities (subreddits) based around that theme but you can still subscribe to !musicproduction@lemmy.studio from your account for example.

• RyzenxD@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

What power does those admins posses and I hope they don’t shadow ban people for being a new account

• can@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Admins have a lot of power, they’re running the software and often paying for upfront server costs. The good thing is they only have power over their slice of the broader lemmy.

If you don’t like how your admins run the instance you can just make an account on another. Account transferring isn’t a thing yet but there are tools to transfer your subscriptions and blocks.