I want to familiarise my self with the rules and workings of this app/ website how moderation is done and etc so I can be extra careful

• mikeboltonshair@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

No, think of an instance like some guy is hosting the visual part of the website on his computer named lemmy.world another guy hosts the same website but it’s on his computer named lemmy.ca their computers their rules, if they shut down their computer or you don’t like how they moderate then you sign up to someone else’s computer to view the website

The subreddit would be on that guys individual computer you could make a subreddit called technology on lemmy.world but even though the guy with the lemmy.ca computer didn’t set up that subreddit you can still view it, it’s basically a portal to view everyone else’s Reddit

If you use an app they have ways of viewing all of Lemmy, All shows you all the “subreddits across everyone’s computers, local would just be the subreddits created on that computer that you signed up to, then subscribed would be subreddits you subscribed to… technology on lemmy.world and just making one up but worldnews on lemmy.ca

• can@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

all is actually only communities that someone on your instance has subscribed to. But yes they can be from other instances.

Not to further complicate things. But a community from another instance won’t show up on your all until you or someone else subscribed.

• mikeboltonshair@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I didn’t realize that so thanks for clearing that up, part of my reply was just giving the general idea so it’s good to get full answer

• can@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Yeah, most people seem to think if you’re instance is federated with another then all communities from it will appear, but it’s actually on a community by community basis. That’s a pro of larger instances, the all feed will already be well populated.