• Just_Pizza_Crust@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 hours ago

That seems like a bit of an oversimplification based on the frequency of Dem wins to the voting percentage.

If true though, wouldn’t the US have been the more right wing under 2012 Obama than Trump since he had a lower voter turnout?

You can’t use evidence of a trend as evidence of political motivations is kinda what I’m getting at.

• horse_battery_staple@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

It’s a well regarded theory in political science. It also is present in many other democracies, look at Germany or Sweden for a current example.

• Just_Pizza_Crust@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

Is there a name for the subject you’re speaking of, or do you just mean as a general part of political science? Like I’ve seen memes referring to the subject, but I don’t take it as fact. I do know a bit about the multi-party Parliament and local governance of Sweden, but admittedly nothing deep. What would you suggest I further read up on in their system? And what study of Germany do you suggest I read in relation to this?

My own experiences in studying Vietnam have actually led me to the opposite position, where despite a voter turnout of 99%+, the country is still quite socially conservative.