• Soluna@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 hours ago

I think they researched this and found that literally no creature completely rely on mosquitos, and that if they were wiped out the power vaccum would be replaced by other small flying insects that are within the diets of the creatures that would otherwise eat mosquitoes. So yeah, there really isn’t anything stopping us from wiping them out. I say do it, and just keep some in a lab just in case if fucks stuff up. Or maybe more reasonably just modify them so they can’t suck human blood or pierce human skin, which I’m pretty sure we’re also already capable of.

• Chloë (she/her)@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 hours ago

Or maybe dont eradicate them? They’ve been here for millions of years why do we feel like their existence is worthless because they bother us, I say, prevent them from carrying diseases instead…

• Mordex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

I’d say it’s more than just a bother. You’re spot on about preventing them from carrying and transmitting disease.

Though I’m perfectly okay not having bot flies around anymore… Another insect that could be considered a bother but we mostly destroyed their population.