link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Lol, that sounds very much “as a black man”

I’ll tell you, most of us in the states would love a total switch to metric. We use it where is matters most, but we also have an aging population raised on lead has fumes that think anything they don’t know is “communism” or “wholeness” or whatever else the propaganda right spews. Those are the assholes that pretty much stop progress on anything.

I’m big into 3D printing, actually got into the same argument with another 3D printing guy…. And I’m like, literally EVERYTHING we do is in metric. The whole damn hobby is metric.

I hate humanity

• yA3xAKQMbq@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Lol, that sounds very much “as a black man”

You mean the „engineer“? Well, what can I say, he was insisting his professor at uni taught him „a true engineer can work with every system“.

I mean yes, but the difference is one engineer is just happily pushing around decimals, the other one goes pale when you ask what 1/5th of a gallon in cubic inches is…

• CIA_chatbot@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Hehe, yea, I was poking fun at the “engineer”. There was a congressman a while ago that got caught posting right wing stuff on twitter from an alt account “as a black man” (dude was white of course”

• DKP@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Sometimes I like to think about the logistical challenges with a switch to metric. The one that always gives me pause is highway signs. Thinking about the monumental task of replacing every speed sign, distance sign, and mile marker across the country in any timely period makes my head hurt.

It could certainly be done, and is probably easier than I think with all the state DoTs working independently on it especially over time. We have a lot of road with a lot of signs.

• JungleJim@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

That’s a good point, but we don’t have to even fully replace them. I admit I don’t know the name of the technology but I see many street signs or construction signs that have basically a printed metal sticker slapped over the old information.

• Dharma Curious@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I honestly hate that argument. “it would cost so much to change all those signs” is just negative talk for “it would employee a shit ton of people, create a lot of jobs, and be a major infrastructure project that could help our economy.”. Honestly, the economic benefit of major infrastructure works is rarely talked about as much as it should be. Mainly, I think, because the people it benefits are the ones actually doing the work. And that’s scary to a certain segment of society that would like very much that not to be the case.

• DKP@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I don’t think it’s a valid argument against metric, just a thought experiment to consider about the time needed to implement. Converting would be a slow process, but I agree it could be an economic boost as swapping things is a largely a manual process

• Dharma Curious@startrek.website
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Meant to mention in my first comment, I haven’t met many other people who like to randomly imagine the ways major structural changes would take place. Lol.

I like to pick a huge project. Like, say, single payer healthcare, or the nationalization of an industry, and then imagine the individual steps that would need to be taken to get there. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a project I’d support, I just have fun imagining the ways it would need to happen.

• TheIllustrativeMan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I think the bigger one is the construction industry.

2"x4" studs. 4’x8’ plywood. 16" O.C.

Changing to 44x95, 1219x2438, 406 O.C doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. We could switch over to the metric equivalents (like 1250x1250 or 600 O.C.), but that would mean switching out machinery and would break a lot of standards.

• Rusticus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

You do realize that the US tried to switch to metric for 6 months in the 70s and it was a giant failure so we switched back, yes? Do you think 2023 America is smarter than 1970s America lol?

Edit: not sure why downvotes. I am in favor of switching US to metric. But historically it didn’t work.

• CIA_chatbot@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

You do realize asshole Republicans reverted before it could be more than implemented on a couple of highways

“Metric supporters argued the road signs were a crucial step in helping Americans get over any psychological blocks to switching measurement systems. But Republican Charles Grassley, then a congressman and now a senator from Iowa, killed proposed federal regulations that would have forced states to put up signs in kilometers.”

They literally locked putting up signs in both metric an Imperial

Also… remember my comment about old fucks raised on gas lead fumes…. Yea, the 70s……

• DocMcStuffin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Given that the 70’s was 50 years ago, most people don’t know the details of what happened. Other than a metric conversion was attempted.

It’s both surprising and not that it was killed by republicans. And given the current nationalist furor in the party, it doesn’t have a snow ball’s chance in hell of happening in the next decade. If it was proposed, again.

• Astrealix@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I mean, I’d be very worried if 2023 wasn’t smarter than 1970 no matter the location. Between the lead poisoning and the advancements in knowledge and education methods…

• tunetardis@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

it was a giant failure

Well not entirely. 2L coke bottles emerged around that time and they’re still around!