• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

It isn’t been a hidden cost for a while. Phone companies sell the phones at full price, but consumers want the 2 year 0% APR financing.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

If consumers bought the phones from a third party, there’d be absolutely no reason to lock the phone to a carrier. But when carriers also provide the financing, there’s an incentive to keep them on the service until the bill is paid. Screw that.

• Kbobabob@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

Until you realize that things like wifi calling have to be an at&t phone. Unless they’ve changed this in the last few years.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 hours ago

Then don’t buy a $1k device, and instead buy something you can afford?

Otherwise, there are tons of buy now, pay later services, so you could just use any of those.

• shortwavesurfer@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 hours ago

Not go into debt to upgrade something that actually in most cases doesn’t need upgrading. What a amazing thought.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              5 hours ago

Yup. I upgraded my phone because it ran out of software updates (had for >3 years). My new phone cost <$400 and has >5 years of software support, if the hardware lasts that long. A $1k device is not necessary and is a luxury item, and you shouldn’t go into debt for luxuries…

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 hours ago

Exactly. I started buying my phones at full price unlocked in 2016 when I switched to a mobile virtual network operator and I’ve never gone back to $1,000 phones because losing $1,000 from your Monero wallet hurts bad.

• njordomir@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  3 hours ago

I’ve been doing the same. It makes traveling easier too. It costs way less to get a local sim for an unlocked phone you own than to pay the carrier to allow you to use a locked phone overseas.

At home, MVNOs, for me, were basically what the rest of the world had. The big carriers kept pushing phones, the MVNOs were simpler, quicker, and less scammy. Eventually I found a non-MVNO T-Mobile prepaid plan that gave me unlimited SMS, 100min. Talk, and 5-6GB data (which they deceptively call unlimited 👎, but was more than enough for me)

The site run by the greedy little pigboy used to have a “nocontract” community for discussing the best plans, they had a big google sheet and lots of research, but it seems someone infiltrated it because they no longer list the best deals.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    3 hours ago

Yep, me personally, I am on the T-Mobile Connect 5GB plan, which gives me unlimited talk and text with 5GB of data and then no more. But that’s perfectly fine by me since the vast majority of the time I have access to Wi-Fi extremely easily.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 hours ago

There are tons of buy now, pay later services, and they make money through revenue sharing w/ the retailer, as well as when people fail to pay back the loan on time.

But ideally, this would just put downward pressure on phone prices as people look to buy phones w/ cash instead of going into debt.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 hours ago

Honestly any moderately expensive item can be purchased through installments. Go to any electronics store and they’ll have offers like that, and they use different services to provide that financing.

It’s a non-issue, carriers don’t need to be a party to that at all. I can literally go to BestBuy or Apple and get 0% financing on a new phone and take it to any carrier I want.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 hours ago

You know what you’re talking about. It’s nice to see that.

But if carriers didn’t have phones for sale everyone would be mad about it. They might have even been mad in the beginning, so the carriers started selling phones too.