It’s possible that the .io cctld is going to go away [0]. Does crates.io have a backup plan at all? Does anyone know what problems it would end up causing?

I imagine the package registry having to move domains is going to cause a ton of problems.

Frankly, it’s concerning to me that so much of the Rust ecosystem has chosen to standardize on shaky ccTLDs. The Indian Ocean Territory (.io) is a small island territory whose only inhabitants are a single military base, it is crazy to use that domain for something important. Serbia (.rs) is more stable, but they could still cut off access for non-Serbians if they wanted to.

[0] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.io#Phasing_Out

• patrick@lemmy.bestiver.seOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 hours ago

Are you willing to bet the stability of an entire language’s dependency ecosystem on that? Just so that we can write “crates.io” instead of “crates.rust-lang.org”?

That’s really the question. I do agree that there’s almost no chance it goes away as too many places and too much money depends on it.

• FizzyOrange@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 hours ago

Yes I definitely am. It’s really nice that crates.io is short, and it’s silly to give that up for a miniscule risk of something moderately annoying happening.

Even if the domain goes away we’d just have to all move to a new domain. Annoying but hardly the end of the world. Cargo.io isn’t actually hard-coded in many places. It’s nothing like if github.com stopped existing.