13% of Democrats agree with Trump on that.

What the actual fuck?

• JasonDJ@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 hours ago

Nuh uh. I was born here. My parents were born here. (/s, of course)

Let’s not go back any further than that because it hurts the argument.

For context, I am 50% Italian, 25% French, 12.5% Irish, and 12.5% English. At least going off what my parents had told me. I never did a DNA test or anything.

It’s been barely 60 years since racism against Italian- and Irish-American individuals really eased up. All based on xenophobia and an anti-Catholic belief. Before that, they may as well have been Black. Or worse, Japanese.

Tons of people alive today that experienced it first hand. Did all the lead in the paint and gasoline make them forget all about it?

Even still today we have to tiptoe around ideas like renaming Columbus Day. On the one hand, he was a massive piece of shit. On the other hand, it’s morphed into the only holiday celebrating Italian-American heritage. I very much agree with the former, but if we are gonna go all-out on St. Patrick’s Day, Italians should have a day too.

Maybe we could make a bigger deal out of St. Joseph. I could really go for a zeppole right about now, but that’s really all I know of the day. It’s a day for a zeppole.

• solsangraal@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

i live in a small town full of old people who incessantly whine about people “moving here and trying to change things” from other parts of the country. while sitting on stolen cherokee land.

among americans there is this weird fucked up notion that we are, and always were, entitled to this land, and no one else is allowed on it. including the people who were living here first. it’s been passed down through generations since the first colonists and still remains, even among democrats. so we hate “other,” but we especially hate them when they move into town. and god fucking forbid they ever speak anything but 'murican

for context, my town still has a confederate statue because the usual “bUt MuH hIsToReEeEeEeEs”