• MelodiousFunk@slrpnk.netOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

The reward for being good at toil is more toil.

Signed,
    The guy who was good at streamlining and ended up with 3-4 different jobs but only one salary

• MonkeMischief@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 hours ago

That’s why I think it can suit us quite well to be self-employed, and get paid to do enough different challenging things to keep it interesting.

Your work directly translating into money is nice.

But also, huge asterisk there, because I found out my carefully honed 3D modeling skills aren’t worth “living money” unless you’re crazy good, and also the official stuff like licensing and taxes are totally those “pick up your socks boring tasks” that we put off at the last minute sooo…

I dunno, I can’t seem to decide whether it’s worth trying to find a job I can “leave at work” that doesn’t drive me crazy, or hustle to make my own venture viable. 🤔

• MelodiousFunk@slrpnk.netOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

I can’t stand the thought of selling myself every few years to job hop, let alone having to do it every day trying to monetize one of the few things left that I enjoy. When I was coming out of high school I entertained the thought of running my own PC/electronics repair business. It took maybe two months as a field service tech to put those thoughts away for good.

• prole@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      17 hours ago

This is the ultimate lesson, especially if you’re in a for-profit venture. That is what I have learned from decades of working: Never do more work than the minimum that is expected from you.

It isn’t as bad if you work at an NGO or in public service of some type, because at least the fruits of your labor don’t go directly into the pockets of uber-wealthy CEOs. But if you’re in the private sector, fuck all that shit.