• wizardbeard@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

Add the extra layer of my mother not appreciating my interests and thinking what I now do for a living was a waste of time… And a dash of expecting me to somehow just be able to perfectly do chores they never taught me how to do when I was young. Yes, this is the first time I’ve ever mopped a floor at 17 years old. How the fuck is that my fault?

• I Cast Fist@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 hours ago

Shit, sounds a lot like my mom. She always complained I never helped with chores, but she never asked or told me to do any. Worse, whenever I did anything, like washing the dishes, instead of saying “thanks”, she would tell me to stop because she’d do it.

• Whats_your_reasoning@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 hours ago

I remember this progress as a kid. Nothing was taught until after I did something wrong. It ended up discouraging me from trying, because every time I did something that I thought was “right,” my mom complained about it.

At first the rule was “put dirty dishes in the sink.”

Then when I put dishes in the sink, the complaint became, “Why did you put dishes in the sink without washing them?”

So then I learned to wash dishes, and set them in the drying rack. To which my mom would complain, “Why are there dishes in the drying rack? You should put them away.”

Okay, so I washed and put dishes in the cabinets. “Why are the dishes all wet?”

How about teaching kids each step beforehand, instead of complaining that they don’t magically know/do everything?

• Flocklesscrow@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

As a child of Baby Boomers, they really never wanted an answer - they just wanted to complain about something. And they probably never wanted to be parents in the first place.

• SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

God, it sucks to be a child of parents that never wanted children

Like I get that it was the social expectation but c’mon, what the hell, you brought me into existence, and for what?

• Shou@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          19 hours ago

My mom aborted my brother because she didn’t want a son. I think it was for the best. She was a manipulative abusive pos to my sister and I. I hate to think how she would have treated him.

• MonkeMischief@lemmy.today
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 hours ago

:(

That hits hard because if I wasn’t adopted, that was almost my fate. Guess I wouldn’t have known either way…

But I’m glad I’m here, and I’m glad you and your sister are here. We can make this place better for each other. 🫂

• Shou@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 hours ago

It really do be falling on our few generations, huh? Fixing shit? Guess you’re right. I’m glad you got a chance at life with people who wanted you. I’m glad you’re alright.