A University of South Carolina student was shot and killed as he apparently tried to enter the wrong home on his off-campus street early on Saturday, police said.

Nicholas Anthony Donofrio, 20, of Connecticut, was dead by the time police responded to reports of a home burglary and shooting, according to a Columbia Police Department news release. Officers found his body on a front porch around 2 a.m., and Donofrio had a gunshot wound to his upper body, the release said.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m all for an amendment.

I just find it unreal that conservatives defend their guns over the lives of children. Especially after what we’ve seen in Uvalde and Sandy Hook and Columbine, etc. Zero change. Unreal.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It is a false argument. Firearms rarely kill children.

The left wants to defund the police, as such, that means I need to defend myself from crime.

You can’t have it both ways. You either need to have more police or allow the citizens to defend themselves. It’s why I moved out of the blue city to a red city. I would rather have a strong police force to defend my from crime rather than have to carry a firearm to defend myself.

• PoliticalAgitator@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Firearms rarely kill children.

People rarely fuck your wife when you’re at work. What number is acceptable for you then?

Since she’s not my wife, I’m comfortable insisting that a few hundred is nothing to get upset about. It’s only a tiny fraction of the overall population.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Firearms rarely kill children.

So, not reaction to Uvalde, Columbine, Sandy Hook? Nothing? Seems on par.

You seem completely blind to anything outside the US.

Create happy populations and you don’t need any of it. Europeans don’t have guns and they don’t have the violent police forces you see in the US. Yet, they are the happiest populations on earth year after year. Highly productive, highly educated.

Great equality. Create opportunity. Get rid of the desperation.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

As the DOJ pointed out, a ban didn’t solve anything. It didn’t help the problem.

Parading dead children isn’t going to impress me when the facts say it wouldn’t have changed anything.

You want to ban something that is proven not to help and claim victory.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

How do you want to prove it when we haven’t tried it? It works in the rest of the developed world.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Why didn’t you use your cool guns to save those children? You promised us that America would be safer if we sold you guns.

You didn’t even offer to help clean them up after you failed them. You know someone has to right?

The Ulvade shooter was a legal gun owner. Do you think the people who had to pick up children’s bones and brains were too?

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

Not my job. That’s why we pay police.

My guns are for my defense and the defense of my family.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Oh well taking a page out of your book, I don’t care about you and your family either, so I’ll just take your guns away for the safety of mine.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 year ago

You don’t have the ability and scotus has clearly said I have a right to own firearms. So nice try troll.

But if you want to vote to make new laws, knock yourself out. I fully support your right to vote to change things but just realize it would require a new amendment which won’t pass in our lifetime.

I live in a very blue state and everyone I know carries a firearm. When the most liberal people I know own guns. It’s part of the culture of the state and it would be hard pressed to get anyone to change it.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

So what are your plans if you’re wrong?

Are you going to surrender your guns because you didn’t actually need them like you claimed?

Will you submit to more thorough training, background and health checks as part of obtaining a firearm license, like you could have done 5000 mass shootings ago?

Will you become an illegal gun owner, like all the criminals you imagined gunning down in your hero fantasies?

Or will you go full terrorist, firing on the law enforcrment and going out in a hail of bullets, sacrificing yourself for your country like all the gun owners promised they would, even though they wouldn’t even wear a mask protect their countrymen?

• Apollo@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Firearms rarely kill children?

Hundreds of children have died after being shot at school since Sandy Hook alone. Hundreds. That was only 13 years ago.

In that same period, do you know how many children died after being shot at school in Europe? It’s a number between 0 and 0.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Oh burn. He didn’t even realise that Germany saw a 600th of the gun violence of America before talking shit like it was a largely solved probably with a solution that isn’t even difficult.

• Apollo@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

You mean the one where nobody died, still leaving the european number at 0?

Oh hey that’s what firearms rarely killing children looks like!

No comment on the rest of my point?