• rozodru@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Honestly Valve needs to have a policy for this. If a game that once worked on Steamdeck and now no longer works after publisher intervention then refunds need to be issued. I have BF2042, BFV and BF1 and 1 was the LAST one I could still play on Linux. Now I have 3 digital paperweights that I can’t play anymore. I want my money back.

• paraphrand@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

“Solves nothing” is a stretch. These companies don’t still apply anti-cheat because it does nothing.

• conciselyverbose@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

It doesn’t just do nothing. They know for sure it does nothing, is not theoretically capable of doing more than nothing to prevent cheating, and that it is a giant security hole.

They just don’t care, because it lets them install a rootkit on your computer.

• paraphrand@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 days ago

Oh, so it does nothing, and it’s a conspiracy to rootkit your computer so they can do other things(?). I see.

• conciselyverbose@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

It does nothing to prevent cheating because cheating does not require access to your computer.

The fact that they’re rootkits is not a conspiracy. It’s not a secret that they have kernel access.