• Azdalen@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

Didn’t FF basically solve this with their Firefox Color addon? well, at least from a color them perspective.

• prototype_g2@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    15 hours ago

Honestly, I don’t see why CSS theming is important. The customization is nice and all, but that’s not going to make people switch to Firefox. There are many other things that could be improved, like adding tab grouping. I use this extension called Tree Style Tab which I cannot live without. Firefox having something like that by default instead of an extension would be nice.

However, having said that, OperaGX did find quite a lot of success by simply making it easy to theme the browser, so I can see where they are coming from.

• Olgratin_Magmatoe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

Tree Style Tab which I cannot live without. Firefox having something like that by default instead of an extension would be nice.

Been using TST for a while now, and I whole heartedly agree. Given that it’s essentially just some CSS, I can’t imagine that it would be difficult at all to support natively.

• Vincent@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

Anyone who thinks they know what needs to happen for Firefox to regain market share, needs to consider what would happen if someone forks Firefox and makes that happen.

There’s no way that CSS theming is it. And in general, “not doing something” isn’t going to be it, either.

• fixmycode@feddit.cl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 hours ago

they need to offer a better alternative to Electron. once that happens, you’ll have Firefox everywhere. People will code their SPAs to run in Firefox first, recommend it to their users, and accelerate the development of better APIs.

• Vincent@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        24 hours ago

Ah, so it should just be better! I wonder why nobody thought of that yet :P

(Sorry, I’m in a sarcastic mood, but you get my point.)

• fixmycode@feddit.cl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 hours ago

oh don’t get me wrong if I had a plan for it I’d be doing it. I’ve always found it really weird given the impact that Electron had in app development, why Firefox never tried to ride that train. I know of one short lived effort to take the engine out of the browser.

• Vincent@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            23 hours ago

Usually the answer is limited resources with unclear payoff, i.e. even with Electron’s success, it’s not clear that there’s room for an alternative in the market, and it’d be a lot of effort to do.

• im sorry i broke the code@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  54 minutes ago

Tauri v2 just got released, it’s very recent and corps move slowly; besides, rewriting a project in a different framework is a major undertaking, it would be a bad idea to rewrite a major project in Tauri, which is still not as widespread. I’m unfortunate enough to have to work with Electron and Tauri greatly improves on everything that is wrong with Electron. I have no doubt that companies will begin adopt it in the following years (or a similar tool, the underlying architecture is solid).

• threeganzi@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 hours ago

Check out Tauri, a better alternative to Electron. It avoids bundling a browser engine in the binary and relies on the OS browser engine.

• fmstrat@lemmy.nowsci.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 hours ago

Only reason I use Chromium is PWAs (Web Apps). Which is why I made an extension that opens links from Chromium in Firefox.

Got Slack running in your work profile on Chromium? Opens links in Firefox work profile.

I should probably release this.

• ᗪᗩᗰᑎ@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 hours ago

Same here. I have to trust/use an extension and third party desktop application (Progressive Web Apps for Firefox) to get this feature to work and not have to rely on Chrome/Edge/etc.

I can easily see less patient or understanding users dropping Firefox if they find out it doesn’t work with Progressive Web Apps.

• PoolloverNathan@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

Tab grouping is nice, but I’ve found Sidebery to meet my needs (specifically nested tab groups, and separating projects — plus it worked out of the box with Firefox Color) much better. I have it configured to automatically unload collapsed branches, which is nice as a tab hoarder, and it can fully send entire panels to your bookmarks for later usage (this is a massive performance improvement when you’re regularly opening 100–200 tabs/day per panel). A native solution, however, would be much appreciated — as long as there’s a way to nest tab groups and unload their contents.

• LazerFX@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        16 hours ago

I went with floorp, because it allowed native title bar disabling, with task bar editing so I could inject a grab handle; vertical tabs in sidebery, and a clean, nearly-ui-free vertical.

• ilinamorato@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 hours ago

You can actually fairly easily unload tabs with about:unloads right now, but you have to do it in the order Facebook Firefox thinks they should be done for some reason.

Honestly, I don’t know why, but sidebar tabs have just never worked for me. It makes no sense, but for some reason my brain just doesn’t process them correctly.

But I agree, in general more fine-grained control of tabs would be the thing I would need in order to feel like Firefox was feature-complete.

Edit: Facebook? Wtf?

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        18 hours ago

Majority of people also don’t give a fuck about Firefox at all.

So why piss off the few that DO care?

• Quail4789@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          17 hours ago

I am not saying they shouldn’t have done that. I am saying its not a blocker in mass adoption.

• solrize@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Main thing I want is to override site css. Who cares what the browser itself looks like.

• Quintus@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

Agreed. This is the only reason (besides the built-in fake VPN) OperaGX is popular. All browsers have pretty much the same feature set. OperaGX’s biggest strength is CSS customization, Firefox’s biggest strength is extensions, Edge’s is being the Windows default and Chrome’s is it’s image of “fast and secure browsing”.

All Firefox needs to be is a jack of all trades. But still prioritize it’s main distinction.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

Well I’m very unlikely to stray from Foss. The problem with theming is that it allows websites to pick you out in a crowd. That won’t matter much if you don’t clear cookies on close but for people who want to resist fingerprinting that is a deal breaker.

I would love to theme the browser but that also themes websites are far as I can tell.