That’s it. That’s the post. I can’t stop making the connection to those songs. yea

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Oh yes, especially some kinds of filmmakers: the “auteur” creeps that get special cultural license to be creeps for decades with no consequences as an assumed cost of doing business with them.

• someone [comrade/them, they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 days ago

I’m just happy that Kubrick seems to not have been one of them. Even when adapting very dark stories where he could have tried to get away with “but that’s the age of the characters in the original” he had the good sense to age-up troublingly-young characters. There’s a particularly notorious scene in the original A Clockwork Orange novel that he handled perfectly in the adaptation. Anyone familiar with the movie knows the scene where Alex has a consensual threesome with these two adult women.

But in the original novel, they’re both 10 years old and not consenting whatsoever.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

As far as I know, David Lynch was the same way: I read that he was kind and patient with anyone that was going to be in a scary scene and only took actors as far as they could handle and they spoke well of him after those movies.

Fuck Hitchcock though.

• Redcuban1959 [any]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

David Lynch unfortunely also signed the letter in favor of Roman Polanski (No idea if he regrets supporting it like Natalie Portman did).

• Inui [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              2 days ago

He’s also adamently a proponent and supporter of Transcendental Meditation and has converted half the actors he’s worked with. Which as an individual practice isnt’t a problem, but the organization behind it is a huge scam started by a predatory rolls royce yogi who Lynch personally knew. The same guy who made The Beatles leave India because he creeped on their girlfriends.

I half forgive him for this because I think he probably doesnt read literally anything on the internet and has had the privilege of the organization sheltering him from any of their wrongdoing. Unless a friend of his personally told him, he might not have any idea.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

It was no secret (and he actually bragged about it “auteur” style) that he abused and tormented people on set (in particular women) to ostensibly get them emotionally shaken enough to suit his “vision.”

During “The Birds,” for example, he arranged it so a frozen chicken was thrown at the car window of one of the lead actresses as she was rolling up to the set!